- Applicants should be able to add more information to their applications
- Social Media info (Facebook, Twitter, GitHub,...)
- We should ask for a links to samples, videos, blogs,…
- Change the new application address to use same logic for displaying City/State/Zip based on Country as CODE website.
- The filter dialog is still a bit of a pain to use. Maybe we should just make the list of position a list (instead of a drop-down)?
- Filter clears after navigating to an applicant. I set a filter to show only a certain position and only with an uploaded resume. As I look at details on each, I have to set the filter again each time to find the next candidate.
- I (Markus) think this problem is still there. Every time I set a filter (usually to a specific position) and then open an application and then close it again, the complete list of applications reloads.
- When you rate an application, and then go to another application you haven't rated yet, your previous rating shows up. I guess it just doesn't clear it out if there are no new ones to load. When you then enter a new rating/commant, it actually gets confused and overrides the one for the previously rated application.
- Would be nice to have a quick-filter ability in the toolbar of the list of applications. I usually filter by position, minimum star rating, and I would love to quick filter by whom I haven't rated yet (see below).
- Would be nice to have a way to filter by "applications I haven't rated yet, so it is easy to see which applications I haven't dealt with.
- Would be nice to have a way to close a position (as we may not be accepting more resumes), but still have an easy way to find them in the list of applications. If they just go into “closed applications”, it is a huge list and hard to find stuff. Maybe we could do something with date ranges or so. We should brainstorm this.
- Woudl be nice to have a way to search in the list of applicants, simply by typing in a search field that filters down the applicants. Typically, this would be for the applicant name, but it woudl also be nice if it included the title of the job opening. So typing “Vue.js” would show all applicants that applied to any job with Vuew.js in the title, not just one specific opening we had.
- Can we make the actual file name in the application attachments to be a clickable link? I know it is a minor nitpicky thing, but I keep trying to click the darn file name 😃
- Move the filter selectors from the applications table itself to a dialog window.
- Also add filters for: star rating range (especially “X-stars and more” so we can see applications with a certain minimum rating) and ineligible flag.
- Want a time stamp for each application and position to know when it was created.
- We will need a way to create applications manually when people apply by just sending us an email. (Interesting question: how do we handle linking to existing names?)
- Ability to delete applications (there are currently lots of duplicates)
- Ability to evaluate candidates through a ratings system
- Evaluation from each administrator
- Comments about application including ability to link to candidate's projects
- Flag ineligible/unqualified candidates
- Add known phone numbers and emails to candidate contact info
- Ability to upload resumes
- Would be nice to see in the list of applications which ones have file attachments, which would help in a variety of scenarios, including seeing duplicates (and ideally even open the attachment right from the list, but that is secondary).
- We need a notes field for positions, so we can take our own internal notes as to what this was for exactly. (Apparently, we keep forgetting what certain job postings were for 😃 )
- Important: I think it is getting more and more important that we think about security. We shouldn't just let anyone at EPS log in. For instance, it could be quite awkward to go through the hiring process, add comments about pros and cons of a candidate. Then, you hire him/her. Next thing you know is they look at their own application in Mytikas. Awkward! 😃. I think we need some sort of role-based system where we can say "you have to be in the ‘mytikas’ role to get in". Or maybe a “Hiring” role, or something like that. Not sure how the "roles" would be defined. Could be that we really have roles. Could be that we have a checkbox in the account record that kind of acts like a poor man's role. Maybe int he login service, we just pass along a required role, and if they are not in that role, they just can't log in and are completely locked out from the whole app.
- Markdown editing should support indenting of list items - preview support is there now, but you have to manually enter the appropriate spaces
- Would be nice to have positions that are “active” but not yet "published" (while we are still working on them and are not ready for the world to see them, but we do not want them burried in the inactive ones). Active, but not published, should not show in the list on the web site, but you should be able to navigate to them directly if you have a link (so we can already see what it will look like on the web page)
- Would be nice if it worked better on mobile, as this might be exactly the kind of thing one goes into on a mobile device while one “has a few minutes”
- Would be kinda nice to show the address of an applicant on a map. Maybe we could integrate Google maps in the application review process. Maybe a small view of a map that can be maximized somehow.
- The toolbar button for “heading” is odd. Also, it should create a heading 3 tag (so add 3 #s)
- The toolbar button for “heading” is still odd 😃 I think it should say "H" not “T” 😃
- Would be nice if we could route directly to a position or application within Mytikas, so we can pass around such deep links if we want someone to edit a specific position or look at a specific application.
- Login should remember where you really wanted to go and then take you there after login.
- Would be nice if the memo field displayed for applicants supported markdown so we can allow for some formatting if people want to (and that woudl give us a good idea of how wild they go 😃 ) and also, it would help displaying line feeds and such.
- The text editing scrolls a bit odd at this point. When opening a different position (for instance), the form should scroll to the top again. Currently, you can edit a position, be scrolled to the very bottom, then close it and edit a different one, and you are still scrolled way down on the other. Which may not have as much data and then you look at an empty screen. I think in general, the text editing experience should scroll within the form, and the fields at the top shoudl always remain visible).
- When editing a long job description, everything scrolls down. Which means that the toolbar scrolls out the top and is not available anymore for editing things that are further down in the text.
- Blockquotes should be available through the toolbar and have a CSS style so the preview looks right
- Would be nice to have a link from the position edit form to the web site, so we can see what it looks like there. (Should open a new browser window)
- Would be ncie to have a simple free-form text field for a position category (such as Marketing, Development, Management,… or whatever we type in)
- Would be nice to have refresh buttons on the list of positions and the list of applications
- Would be nice if Mytikas remembered how many items I want to see in my lists (positions and applications). Or at least, it should be more than 5 😃
- When saving a record, the save notification currently pops up right on top of the save/close buttons. Would be nice if they were at a different place on the screen. Also, the “X” button is a bit confusing. Kinda looks like a delete button. Maybe it should just say "Close"
- I like how the documentation topics open in the same top-level tab. However, the link to editing the wish list should open in a different tab, otherwise, when someone has the wish-list editing open, and then also clicks to open some other documentation topic (such as to look at the change log), it navigates away from wishlist editing and the changes are lost.
- Would be nice if the overall comment with an application could also contain Markdown. I think in that case, we would just display the result read-only. To edit it, one would have to click an edit button. Take a look at this example for instance, where I would love to links to be live, and I would love to add some formatting for emphasis: http://mytikas.eps-office.com/applicationview/fd6d9385-763a-40f0-92a4-e64e73c1d300
Portal for Applicants
- Ability to manage a general profile on codemag.com, and include applicant specific information (such as skills and endorsements). Note: Rick and Markus are already working on some of that.
- Ability to apply to multiple positions using info stored in profile
- Ability to link to external accounts (ex. LinkedIn, GitHub)
- Especially to show off projects
Employee and Contractor Management
Currently, Mytikas is just our application management application, but it would benice if we could also use the same system to manage employees and contractors. For that, the following features come to mind:
- Being able to search for all names in our system and open them for edit
- We should be able to assign who people are reporting to or who they are mentored by
- Would be nice to have an org chart
- Should be able to search all people by their skills
- When looking at people for this purpose, it would be nice to see what else people did. Did they attend events? Did they write articles? Maybe even that they are subscribers (or have been at some point). We do not need a lot of detail on that in this particular system (for instance, we do not need a lot of detail about subscriptions), but it would be nice to see some of the fundamentals that are important for hiring.
- At some point it would even be nice to be able to rate people or give kudos. (Both for managers and also allow - at lower weight - co-workers to do so)
- Would be nice to integrate systems like LinkedIn and their endorsement system in some way, so we could see if a certain person has been endorsed for certain skills a lot.
- Being able to flag names as employees or contractors (so have individual flags for those). Right now, we simply assume everyone with an EPS email address is somehow part of the team.
- Would be nice at some point to be able to assign other rights. Once we get to a bigger list of contractors and freelancers, we do not want them all to have access to everything.
The following is a list of sites that seem to have a good hiring experience:
- GitHub hiring website - https://github.com/about/careers
- Microsoft careers - https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en
- Google careers - https://careers.google.com
- Facebook careers - https://www.facebook.com/careers/jobs
- MagicLeap careers - https://www.magicleap.com/careers
- Creative Circle - https://www.creativecircle.com/talent